can have many meanings as listed below in various categories.
as a prefix
is derived from the Greek
πᾶν which means 'of everything', 'all' or 'involving all members' of a group.
Religion and Mythology
- Pan (mythology), a god of nature in Greek mythology
- Panflute, a wind instrument he is often depicted playing.
- Pan-, meaning "all" is incorporated into several religious systems:
Cooking, food and drink
Electronics and photography
- Panning (camera), a movement of a film or video camera (rotating on a vertical axis)
- Pan and scan, technique for reproducing wide-screen films on narrow TV screens.
- Panning (antenna systems), in antenna systems, successively changing the azimuth of a beam of radio-frequency energy over the elements of a given horizontal region.
- Panning (audio), the spread of a monaural signal in a stereo or multi-channel sound field.
- Panchromatic black-and-white film.
- An honorary title of nobles now a customary term of respect in everyday Polish communication as: Pani, Panna, Pan, (Panicz), Państwo . Cognate with Ban. Pan is also a Ukrainian and Czech honorific, roughly equivalent to "Lord", "Sir" or "Mr.".
- PAN, an abbreviation of Polish Academy of Science
- Pan, a genus of apes composed of the Common Chimpanzee and the Bonobo
- Pan, or playa, an ephemeral water body contained in a shallow, flat basin
- Salt pan (geology), a shallow depression holding a playa, salt lake or related feature
- 4450 Pan, an asteroid
- Pan crater, on Jupiter's moon Amalthea
- Pan (moon), a moon of Saturn
- "Pan-" (formal) and "pan-" (informal), hyphenated prefixes recommended in the draft PhyloCode for names of total groups
- Pan, an informal name for the moon Jupiter XI (now Carme) from 1955 to 1975
- PAN: Personal area network
- Pan (newsreader), newsreader software for Usenet
- Pan, Greece, a village in north-west Arcadia
- Pan Club Copenhagen, Club in Copenhagen for homosexual people
- Pan (surname), Chinese family name (潘 or 盤)
- Pan, WC bowl.
- Pan, also spelled Paan, a North Indian term for Betel, often mixed with tobacco and Lime for chewing
- Pan-pan, a radio distress call
- Pan-pan, a young post-war Japanese prostitute during the Allied occupation
- Panning for gold, a simple placer mining technique
- Pan or Panguingue, a gambling card game
- Mount Pan, mountain in Ji County, Tianjin, China
The acronym PAN
can refer to:
- The ISO 639-3 code for the Punjabi language
- Personal area network, a computer network used close to one person
- Protected Area Network, a network of national parks in the remaining wilderness areas of Europe
- Permanent account number, India's national identification number for taxpayers
- Primary Account Number, another name for a credit card number
- Polyacrylonitrile, polymer
- 1-(2-Pyridylazo)-2-naphthol, a chemical indicator often used for determining manganese
- Peroxyacyl nitrates, irritants found in smog
- Polyarteritis nodosa, a vasculitic condition
- Protect Arizona Now, a political committee behind Arizona Proposition 200 (2004)
- Planning Advice Note, Town Planning guidance, Produced By the Scottish Executive used in conjunction with the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act
- Panama's official ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 abbreviation
- The Polish Academy of Sciences (Polish: Polska Akademia Nauk, abbreviated PAN)
- Presbyterians Aiding Nicaraguans
- Proto-Austronesian language
- Unidentified Aerospace Phenomenon in French i.e. Phénomène aérospatial non identifié
- Mexico's and El Salvador's National Action Party
Names of political parties