Vincent de Ternant received the plantation grounds from a French land grant and developed the 10,000 acres (40 km²) into an active plantation facing False River. When de Ternant's son Claude inherited the plantation, he changed the cash crop from Indigo plant to sugarcane and cotton. When Claude died his second wife, Virginie remarried another Frenchman, Colonel Charles Parlange, from whom the plantation took its name. Together they had one son, also named Charles, who survived the Civil War to begin a distinguished career as a State Senator, United States District Attorney, Lieutenant Governor, Federal judge, and finally Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court. When Virginie died, Charles and his wife moved to New Orleans and Parlange was left to tenants for the next 20 years until Charles' son, Walter, left New Orleans to return and take up the life of a plantation farmer. Today 1500 acres (6 km²) surround Parlange, which is still used as a cattle and sugarcane plantation. It is still owned and operated by descendants of the original owners. The house is still occasionally available for private tours by appointment only. The home is located near the intersection of Louisiana Highway 1 and Louisiana Highway 78.