The city is bisected by the Alabang–Zapote Road, previously known as Real Street ("Real" is a Spanish word for Royal). It forms part of the Maharlika Highway which spans the whole country. The Alabang–Zapote Road connects the South Luzon Expressway which passes through Muntinlupa City in the east to the Coastal Road along Manila Bay.
The Coastal Road, despite its name, is a major tollway which runs the southern length of Metro Manila's shoreline with Manila Bay. It is an important artery for people commuting to and from Las Piñas City and Cavite to Manila.
In 2004, a new highway called "Daang Hari" (Tagalog for King's Way) was completed in the eastern part of Las Piñas City, which connects the city to the neighbouring towns of Bacoor, Cavite, Muntinlupa City, and San Pedro, Laguna, allowing residents to avoid heavy traffic in the Zapote and Alabang (Muntinlupa) districts. Daang Hari is a popular route for cyclists, especially on weekends.
Since its establishment as a small fishing port and a major salt-making center during the Spanish Era, Las Piñas City has grown into an important residential, commercial and industrial suburb of Metro Manila.
Las Piñas City is world famous for its Bamboo Organ, located inside the St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas, the only organ of its kind in the world. Built in the year 1824 by Fr. Diego Cera, created out of bamboo, wood, and metal, this famous organ is praised for its unique, rare, and melodious sound.
The Sarao Motors factory is also located in Las Piñas City, the place where the world-famous Jeepney is assembled piece by piece in painstaking individual production. The factory remains open to buyers and curious visitors all year round.
Las Piñas has a large shopping mall named SM Southmall, which has an area of 205,120 square metres and is located along Alabang–Zapote Road. Directly behind the mall is Pilar Village, which is the largest housing development in the city with an area of over 1.55 square kilometres and over 4,000 households. Pilar Village is also a District 2 Barangay.
Las Piñas City, also known as one of the cleanest cities in Metro Manila, is in the list of the "Clean and Green Hall of Fame" awarded by the Philippine Government. It is the first local government unit in the Philippines that has been honored with the prestigious GLOBAL 500 ROLL OF HONOUR of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). These were in recognition of the city's outstanding achievements in the protection and improvement of the environment.
The largest university in the city is the University of Perpetual Help System DALTA (UPHSD) (formerly University of Perpetual Help Rizal [UPHR]), which is part of the University of Perpetual Help System. This institution is known for its excellence in Medicine, Nursing, and Law. UPHSD operates the Perpetual Help Medical Center, one of the leading hospitals in the southern part of the metropolis.
The main campus of Saint Francis of Assisi College System (SFACS) is also located in Las Piñas City, which offers courses in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business Administration, Education, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Nursing and Care-giving programs, and Graduate studies, as well as primary and secondary education.
In the city resides St.Joseph's Academy which is a parochial school beside the Bamboo Organ. It is the home of the prestigious Las Piñas Boys' Choir.
The Southville International School and Colleges is also one of the more well-known international schools in Metro Manila. Southville is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The city also host to a number of computer school chains, among them are Systems Technology Institute (STI) Las Piñas Branch, AMA Computer Learning Center (AMACLC) Las Piñas Branch, Imus Computer College (ICC) Las Pinas Branch and International Electronics and Technical Institute (IETI) Las Pinas Branch.
Another notable institution in this City is the Elizabeth Seton School , an institution well-known for its Holistic academic programs. It is accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU).
There are also many unkown schools like Mayflower Academy of Las Pinas (MALP), Westfield oriented School and Bloomfield Learning Center.
Dr. Filemon C. Aguilar Memorial College (DFCAMC) is another public college which gives free education to the residence of Las Piñas City. It is widely recognized in the country because of its accountancy and business administration students who could perform well in any field of mind-game.
Las Piñas City, like other cities of the Philippines, is a local government unit whose powers and functions are specified by the Local Government Code of the Philippines. In general, as a city, Las Piñas is headed by a mayor who heads the city's executive function and the vice mayor who heads the city's legislative function, which is composed of twelve councilors, six each from the city's two legislative districts. For representation, the city is considered as one district, and therefore one representative, in the country's House of Representatives.
Mayor: Vergel A. Aguilar
Vice Mayor: Henry C. Medina
District Representative: Cynthia A. Villar
Las Piñas City is divided into 20 barangays. These barangays are grouped into two legislative districts, each with its own set of representatives in the city council. District 1 comprises the northwestern half of the city while District 2, the remaining half.
District 1 Barangays||
District 2 Barangays|
Besides being famous for its Bamboo Organ, which was built by Fr. Diego Cera and completed in 1824, the town of Las Piñas was also a major site during the 1896 Philippine Revolution, as it was occupied by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo's forces. It was also occupied by the Japanese during the Second World War.
In 1901, the Municipality of Las Piñas was incorporated in the newly created province of Rizal pursuant to Philippine Commission Act No. 137. Two years later, it was combined with Parañaque, the latter being the seat of a new municipal government.
It became a separate municipality from Parañaque on March 27, 1907 by virtue of Philippine Commission Act No. 1625. Then, with the founding of the Metropolitan Manila Area (now Metro Manila) in 1976, Las Piñas became one of the municipalities making up the region.
On February 12, 1997, President Fidel V. Ramos signed the bill declaring Las Piñas a new city. A plebiscite held a month after found the residents in approval of cityhood and Las Piñas became the 10th city of Metro Manila on March 26, 1997.
But an inscription in an old church bell that has been preserved inside the museum of the Las Piñas Parochial Church, stated "Siendo Cura-del Pueblo de las Peñas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se Fundio este equilon ano de 1820". It shows that even during the time of Fr. Diego Cera, the town's first parish priest, the town has been called "Las Peñas" until after sometime that the spelling of the town's name was changed into "Las Piñas".