The Paradeplatz is a square at the Bahnhofstrasse in downtown Zürich. The Paradeplatz tram stop is served by lines 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 13. It is one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Zürich and has become synonymous for wealth and Swiss Banks. Both major Swiss banks, UBS and Credit Suisse have their seats at the Paradeplatz. In the closest surroundings are several other notable banks.
The site of the square lay without the medieval city walls, and was incorporated into the town with the construction of the new ramparts in 1642. During the 17th century, it served as a lifestock market, known as Säumärt ("pig market"), renamed to Neumarkt "new market" in 1819 and finally to its current name following the construction of Bahnhofstrasse (1865). The hotel Baur en Ville on the eastern end of the square opened in 1838. The Paradeplatz was the scene of clashes between insurgents and cantonal troops during the 1839 Züriputsch. The Sprüngli Confiserie at the southern end opened in 1859. The Credit Suisse (formerly Kreditanstalt) building at the northern end dates to 1873, the UBS (formerly Bankverein) building at the western end to 1897-1899. The first horse-drawn trams circulated in 1882, electrified in 1896.