The Page Brothers Building, 177-91 North State Street in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States, features the city's last remaining cast iron front on the north facade facing Lake Street. Although this example was built after the fire, iron facades were a common construction technique before the 1871 Great Chicago Fire, and many of the iron fronts melted due to the intense heat. The original 5 story structure was built by John Mills Van Osdel, a prominent post-Fire architect known for buildings in the Jewelers Row District and Old Main at the University of Arkansas. In 1902, the west facade facing State Street was remodeled and another floor was added, reflecting the reorientation of commercial activity from Lake to State Street.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 05 1975, and was later designated a Chicago Landmark on January 28 1983. The Page Brothers Building stands next to the Chicago Theatre, another Chicago Landmark whose marquee is a Chicago cultural and physical landmark that commonly appears in film, television, artwork, and photography.
Chicago Theatre: Daniel P. Coffey & Associates restores a cornerstone of Chicago's State Street and readies it for NEOCON.
Mar 01, 1989; Daniel P. Coffey & Associates restores a cornerstone of Chicago's State Street and readies it for NEOCON. The preservation and...