is a village
and civil parish
in the district of North West Leicestershire
. It is situated close to the A42 road
and the town of Ashby de la Zouch
. The population of Packington according to the 2001 UK census
is 738. Nearby villages include Normanton le Heath
Packington has a public house called the 'Bull and Lion' (reputedly the only one in Britain) , 1 Church of England, 1 Methodist church, 1 local shop and 1 post office, which double up as a little local shop. However this has now sadly closed due to the Postal Office's shut down of many of its smaller branches.The Gillewhiskey stream runs through the village. It is part of the National Forest.
of Packington was in the possession of the infamous Lord Henry Hastings, 1st Baron Loughborough
during the Civil War
. In 1644 the constables of the town paid a compulsory levy of £51 for the "Contribution" to Parliament, providing quartering for troops from Fairfax’s army from the Tamworth
garrison. Three Packington inhabitants, Mr Harsnett, William Corbett and Jane Cresswell made claims for free quarter in June, 1646. Thomas Pestell sen., the incumbent, was a strong supporter of the king. He resigned the vicarage to his son around 1644 after being robbed and plundered several times. The younger Thomas Pestell who was later ejected from his vicarage as a "great libertine", fled to the royalist garrison at Ashby de la Zouch
In 1846, the manor of Packington was left by Sir Charles Abney Hastings, bart of Willesley Hall back to the Marquis of Hastings. (Charles father had been an illegitamate son).
- John Nichols, History and Antiquities of Leicestershire, Vol. III, pg. 927.
- A.G. Mathews, Walker Revised (1948)