: PKTR), founded in 1996
by Robert Packer
and Brett Galloway
, is an I.T.
company based in Cupertino, California
listed on the NASDAQ
. Networking appliances focus on Application Traffic Management and optimization for wide area networks. They hold at least 40 patents
for various network optimization methods. .
Packeteer is a contributing member of the Apdex Alliance.
Their main product lines are:
- PacketShaper (Traffic shaping, compression, TCP & HTTP acceleration, analysis, reporting)
- SkyX (TCP acceleration and compression, high latency link optimization) via the Mentat acquisition.
- iShared (WAFS and TCP acceleration, optimization, compression and caching) via the Tacit Networks acquisition.
- iShaper (Introduced: May 7, 2007. Combines PacketShaper and iShared technologies into a single appliance. Check http://www.packeteer.com/products/ishaper/ for more info)
- Mobiliti software (data protection and link optimization for mobile business users. See http://www.packeteer.com/products/mobiliti/) via the Tacit Networks acquisition.
- In 2004, Packeteer acquired the company Mentat, integrating their SkyX product into the Packeteer portfolio. In 2006, Packeteer acquired the company Tacit Networks, maker of the iShared and Mobiliti product lines.
- On April 21, 2008, Blue Coat Systems announced its intention to acquire Packeteer. See http://www.bluecoat.com/news/pr/1527.
- On June 9th 2008 - Packeteer, Inc. was acquired by Blue Coat Systems