, Inc. is a privately held corporation headquartered in Reno
. The company develops and produces diagnostic programs
for use by PC manufacturers, component vendors, PC repair professionals, support organizations, and end users. The software is available in 23 languages for Windows, Windows PE, many variations of Linux, BSD Unix, and DOS. Some products are embedded and are operating system-independent.
The company focuses heavily on research and development, with more than three-quarters of the company’s staff employed in software development, quality assurance, and technical customer-facing roles. PC-Doctor has a library of intellectual property, including multiple patents, that the company deploys in products and services using the Modular Core Technology (MCT) concept.
The company was founded in 1993 as Watergate Software, Inc. in Emeryville, California
. The company became PC-Doctor, Inc. in early 2000 and moved its headquarters to Reno, Nevada in late 2003.
Product History and Usage
PC-Doctor products are used by most major PC manufacturers for No Trouble Found
(NTF) detection, end-user self-directed troubleshooting, product refurbishment, field service, remote assistance and other similar functions. Other products are used by PC repair and service professionals to diagnose hardware problems in the field and in repair depots. PC-Doctor makes software for HP, Lenovo, IBM and Dell.
PC-Doctor's first product was PC-Doctor for DOS, designed to perform low-level testing of the hardware components of PCs. This product is still used extensively by manufacturers including Dell. As additional operating systems were introduced, the company adapted its core technology to run on Microsoft Windows, Windows PE, Windows XP Media Center Edition, and Linux. It also developed diagnostics for motherboard and in-ROM applications.
- 2005 PCDIY Magazine "Best Products" Award
- 6,742,148 - System and method for testing memory while an operating system is active
- 6,792,562 - Format for extensible error and event codes
- 6,829,726 - Method and system for testing a universal serial bus within a computing device
- 7,036,129 - Diagnostic system integrated with device drivers of an operating system
- 7,139,954 - Method and apparatus for testing a computing device with memory using test program code
- 7,155,645 - System and method for testing memory while an operating system is active
- 7,356,744 - Method and system for optimizing testing of memory stores