A cable pulled the specially-designed passenger car up the mountain, with the car having a mechanism that hooked onto the cable. The cable was pulled by a steam engine that spun a set of cogwheels that drove the cable. To balance the system there were two cars. As one went from the bottom up, the other went from the top down. There was a passing track in the middle of the run where the track split in two, and then rejoined. This was so the cars could pass each other without colliding, as they shared the center rail above and below the passing track.
The Otis Railway and the Catskill Mountain Railway had several freight cars interchangeable with both the Catskill and Tannersville Railway at Summit Station and the Catskill Mountain Railway at Junction Station. The freight cars were 22 feet long and had a capacity of 5 tons or 8 tons. One car could be carried at a time coupled below the coach. Boxcars were Otis Ry. 1, Otis Ry. 2, C.M. Ry. 17 & C.M. Ry. 18. Gondolas were Otis Ry. 3, Otis Ry. 4, C.M. Ry. 15 & C.M. Ry. 16.
The Otis Junction station (pictured right after the 1904 reconstruction) connected the Otis to the Catskill Mountain Railway, a 15 mile railroad between Catskill Landing and Palenville, New York. At the Otis Summit station at the top, it connected to the Catskill and Tannersville Railway, that ran the 5.2 miles to Tannersville. In 1918, all three railroads were closed and sold for scrap. The two cars survive to this day. Soon after the railroad was scrapped, the coaches were shipped to Lookout Mountain, where they now serve the Lookout Mountain Railway.