Orson is a BRIT Award-winning American rock band from Hollywood, California who formed in 1999. Originally the band called themselves Halogen. Recently they were also known as Dr. Lady. Their self-financed debut Bright Idea, released by Mercury Records in 2006, was produced in Los Angeles by Noah Shain and went on to find chart success in the UK with their first single, "No Tomorrow". The album reached the number 1 slot in their respective categories.
The band first played on UK radio during a live session on the Dermot O'leary Show, BBC Radio 2. Following this they appeared at the 2006 Virgin Mobile V Festival in Staffordshire and Chelmsford, England in the UK. Whilst in Chelmsford, the lead singer exclaimed 'Its good to be home!'. This is due to the fact that the band relocated to London, from Los Angeles, in 2006.
Lead singer Jason Pebworth stated in an interview that the band's musical influences are Led Zeppelin, Flaming Lips, Beck and Björk.
The band consists of:
- The group takes its name from Hollywood legend Orson Welles, though not from the person, but from a sandwich named after him.
- Their first single, "No Tomorrow", was released as a free download on the iTunes Music Store. It was the most downloaded "Single Of The Week" since iTunes began.
- While in the UK, Orson appeared on the Sky Sports show Soccer AM and as they were American and did not support a British football team they chose a team randomly out of a hat and they now support the cash-strapped club Rotherham United. To help the club's finances, they were due to play a gig in the town a couple of weeks later.
- Orson have performed as a supporting-band for Duran Duran at Earls Court during Duran Duran's Astronaut Tour, and Robbie Williams during his European leg of his Close Encounters Tour.
- Their single "Tryin' to Help" featured in the 2006 romantic comedy "It's a Boy/Girl Thing".
- Nominated by Q Magazine for "Best New Artist of 2006" along with Lily Allen, Arctic Monkeys, Corinne Bailey Rae, and The Kooks.
- Orson won the 2007 BRIT Award for Best International Breakthrough Act.
- The single, Bright Idea, is heard in the movie Goal! 2 Where Santi is training with Real Madrid.
- Orson appeared at the "Concert for Diana" on 1st July 2007.
- Orson drummer Chris Cano is touring with a hip hop Latin band OZOMATLI (see myspace or ozomatli.com), tour taking place in the USA and Australia.