was an Augustinian
monastic community on the island of Oronsay, Inner Hebrides
. It was in existence by 1353, perhaps founded by John of Islay, Lord of the Isles
. It was dedicated to St Columba
, and perhaps was a continuation or a re-activation of an older establishment. We know very little about it because of the absence of records and its remoteness from Lowland Scotland, but on occasions some of the priors of Oronsay
come into the record. The priory was given to the bishop of the Isles
by King James VI of Scotland
. The ruins are visible today.
Oronsay priory was originally founded by st. columba before moving on to Iona Abbey.
- Cowan, Ian B. & Easson, David E., Medieval Religious Houses: Scotland With an Appendix on the Houses in the Isle of Man, Second Edition, (London, 1976), p. 76
- Watt, D.E.R. & Shead, N.F. (eds.), The Heads of Religious Houses in Scotland from the 12th to the 16th Centuries, The Scottish Records Society, New Series, Volume 24, (Edinburgh, 2001), pp. 165-7