The downtown segment of the boulevard hosts a number of historical buildings and mansions formerly belonging to wealthy local families, in some cases transformed into institutional buildings (such as schools and private hospitals). The central reservation is wide, lined with palm trees, and includes a tiled pedestrian area and a cycleway. The lanes themselves are comparatively narrow.
The boulevard was inaugurated in 1868 as Bulevar Santafesino, as part of a program of the municipality (created 6 years before) to beautify the city, then home to 23,000 residents, and which also included the opening of Pellegrini Avenue (then Bulevar Argentino). Initially 18 blocks long, it was chosen by many wealthy families of the time to build mansions, many of which still persist. Its name was changed in 1904 to honor Nicasio Oroño, former mayor of Rosario and governor of Santa Fe, upon his death.