OpenNMS is an enterprise-grade network monitoring platform developed under the open source software model. It consists of a community-supported, open-source project as well as an organization offering commercial services, training and support.
The goal is for OpenNMS to be a truly distributed, scalable platform for all aspects of the FCAPS network management model, and to make this platform available to both open source and commercial applications.
All code associated with the project is available under the GNU General Public License.
OpenNMS is currently maintained by Tarus Balog, The OpenNMS Group, and The Order of The Green Polo.
- Service polling - determining service availability and latency, including distributed measurement of availability and latency, and reporting on the results
- Data collection - collecting, storing and reporting on data collected from nodes via protocols including SNMP, JMX, , and NSClient
- Thresholding - evaluating polled latency data or collected performance data against configurable thresholds, creating events when these are exceeded or rearmed
- Event management - receiving events, both internal and external, including via SNMP traps
- Alarms and automations - reducing events according to a reduction key and scripting automated actions centered around alarms
- Notifications - sending notices regarding noteworthy events via e-mail, XMPP, or other means
As OpenNMS is written mainly in Java
, it can theoretically run on any system that supports a 1.4 SDK
(1.5 as of OpenNMS 1.3.2).
The following operating systems are supported:
On August 11
, OpenNMS won the Product Excellence Award
in the category Best Systems Management Tools
at LinuxWorld Conference and Expo
The other 3 nominees were:
OpenNMS won the Gold award in the Network and IT management platforms category of SearchNetworking.com's Product Leadership Awards 2007 , beating out HP OpenView and IBM Tivoli.
In March 2008, OpenNMS again appeared in the the SearchNetworking.com Product Leadership Awards, this time taking bronze or third place in the Applications and network management category.
- Enterprise-Wide Network Management with OpenNMS by Tarus Balog, oreillynet.com, September 8, 2005, retrieved November 14, 2006.
- OpenNMS Helps Keep Tabs On Networks by Rob Reilly, LinuxPlanet.com, April 7, 2005, retrieved November 14, 2006.
- Huge Savings with OpenNMS for Managed Hosting Comp by Maria Winslow, linux.sys-con.com, August 31, 2004, retrieved November 14, 2006.
- FLOSS Weekly 15: Tarus Balog of OpenNMS, at the FLOSS Weekly podcast, November 10, 2006, retrieved November 14, 2006.