Onset of Putrefaction
is the debut album by the German technical death metal
. It was recorded almost solely by the band's founder, guitarist and vocalist Muhammed Suiçmez
. He recorded all the vocal tracks and programmed the drum tracks with the help of a computer. The bass and guitar tracks were mostly recorded by him, with a few ones being recorded by former Necrophagist members - Jochen Bittmann
recorded a few bass tracks, and Bjoern Vollmer
recorded a few parts of Extreme Unction's guitar solo.
The original version of the album was very difficult to obtain, due to distribution problems with the label that owned the rights. Willowtip Records
founder Jason Tipton described the situation in an interview:
I first heard Onset in 2000 and I started emailing Muhammed, then asking about releasing it in the US and stuff. Muhammed always wanted it to happen, but things were a complete mess. He had signed a really bad contract and his label had gone out of business and the rights to that album were sold to another company. So this company owned the rights to the CD and they were near impossible for anyone to deal with, in fact they weren't doing their job at all. They didn't really care at all about the band, didn't have the CD in press. It was a complete mess.
The 2004 re-release of Onset of Putrefaction is a remixed, resampled and remastered edition, including vastly improved drum samples used by the drum machine (with the help of newly recruited drummer Hannes) compared with the 1999 release of the album. It features two bonus tracks from their 1995 demo tape, which were also remastered.
Surprisingly, the band decided not try to get the loudest (see loudness war) disc possible for the remaster. Instead they asked their mastering engineer to leave in some dynamic range and not to cause undue distortion in a quest for loudness. As a result, the record's sonic qualities are appreciably better then most metal records released today.
- "Foul Body Autopsy" – 1:55
- "To Breathe in a Casket" – 5:43
- "Mutilate the Stillborn" – 3:45
- "Intestinal Incubation" – 4:13
- "Culinary Hyperversity" – 5:06
- "Advanced Corpse Tumor" – 5:29
- "Extreme Unction" – 4:48
- "Fermented Offal Discharge" – 4:42
- "Dismembered Self-Immolation" (Demo '95)
- "Pseudopathological Vivisection" (Demo '95)
- track 9 and 10 are bonus tracks on the 2004 re-issue
- Muhammed Suiçmez – Vocalist, Guitar, Bass guitar, Drum Machine
- Jochen Bittmann – additional Bass guitar.
- Bjoern Vollmer – Guest guitar solo on "Extreme Unction"