The Townhall has had a chequered history. Built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, it later transferred to the Salvation Army and in 1911 first became council offices. In 1948 all council functions transferred to nearby Sherwood Lodge, now along with a 1990s extension home to Bolsover (district) Council. The Town Hall on Cotton Street then became the town's first Public Library, a branch of Derbyshire County Library. Following the erection of the new library nearby, it reverted back to its council function as offices for Old Bolsover Town Council.