National Iranian Oil Refining and Distribution Company (NIORDC) is part of the Ministry of Petroleum of Iran and its subordinate companies have been established to separate oil upstream activities from downstream activities. NIORDC was established on March 8, 1992 and undertook to perform all the operations related to refining crude oil and transfer and distribution of oil products.
Although NIORDC is formed nearly in the past decade and began its activities within a new framework, the company is actually inherited 90 years of Iran’s Oil Industries experiences in the fields of refining, transferring and distributing of oil products, as well as, engineering and construction of installations of oil industries.
Responsibilities and duties
- Refining crude oil and producing variety of oil products in the refineries.
- Transferring crude oil from production bases and “Khazar Terminal” to the refineries and also transferring oil products from refineries and import bases to distribution procurement depots and distribution centres.
- Main provider of energy and distributor of oil products.
- Performing all refining projects and schemes, transfer and storing.
- Production, transfer and distribution of 250 million litres of oil products per day.
- Daily export of around 60 million litres of oil products abroad via oil terminals.
- Providing different sectors – industry, agriculture and power plants – with fuel and feed regularly e.g. petrochemical complexes to help them continue production in the country.
- Providing consuming fuel in residential sector, business sector in urban and the peasantry communities all over the country.
- Providing more than 4 million vehicles – heavy and light – existing in the transportation cycle with their required daily fuel.
Installations and capabilities
According to Oil and Gas Journal
, Iran has a combined capacity of . Major refineries include: Abadan
(400,000-bbl/d capacity); Isfahan
(265,000 bbl/d); Bandar Abbas
(232,000 bbl/d); Tehran
(225,000 bbl/d); Arak
(150,000 bbl/d); and Tabriz (112,000 bbl/d). Gasoline demand is forecast to be growing at around 11.4 percent per year. Other crude oil refineries are in Kermanshah
and Lavan Island
- Fourteen thousand kilometers of crude oil and oil product transfer pipelines.
- 150 pumping stations.
- Oil industry telecommunication network.
- Operational zones for pipelines and telecommunication.
- 35 operational zones for NIOPDC.
- 220 operational areas for NIOPDC.
- Storage tank installations with 8 milliard litre capacity.
More recently, Iranian Oil Minister Vaziri-Hamaneh noted that oil refining industry of the country needs a 15-billion-dollar investment for its development. He also noted that construction of Hormuz refinery in Bandar Abbas city and Abadan city in Khuzestan, each with a daily capacity of 300,000 and , respectively and a gas condensate plant in Bandar Abbas with a capacity of are among Iran's new projects in oil refining industry.
Going forward, FACTS reports that Iran will complete construction of these three condensate splitters by 2009 (360,000 barrels per day in total). The facilities will produce an estimated of gasoline. Along with other projects, it is possible that Iran will cease being a gasoline importer by 2010.
- Providing desirable fuel supplying services and supplying feed of industries and factories all over the country in due time.
- Reducing consumption rate through employing energy consumption management and raising export rate to make foreign currency.
- Reducing waste materials through improving efficiency in refining and distribution system.
- Reducing environment pollution to reach stable development.
- Raising human force productivity and promoting level of training.
- Increasing output of refinery facilities and transfer are distribution of oil products.
- Reducing cost of production, transfer and distribution of oil products.
The NIORDC subsidiaries are as follows:
- National Iranian Oil Products Distribution Co.
- Management of Construction & Development of "CNG" Stations Co.
- National Iranian Oil Engineering and Construction Co.
- Oil Pipeline and Telecommunication Co.
- Oil Refining Co.