The Ocklawaha Valley Railroad, originally the Ocala Northern Railroad, was a railroad running from Silver Springs Junction, Florida (east of Ocala, Florida) to Palatka, Florida, running roughly parallel to the Oklawaha River. Except for the southernmost part, from Silver Springs Junction to Silver Springs, which was leased from the Seaboard Air Line Railroad (with trackage rights on the SAL main line to Ocala), the railroad never had any corporate relationship with larger railroad companies.
Connections were provided to every major railroad in the area:
|Ocala||Ocala||junction with Atlantic Coast Line Railroad|
|Silver Springs Junction||junction with Seaboard Air Line Railroad main line|
|Silver Springs||Silver Springs||Seaboard Air Line Railroad-owned track ends|
|Fort McCoy||Fort McCoy|
|Rodman Junction||branch to Rodman|
|Palatka||Palatka|| used the Southern Railway station at the St. Johns River via trackage rights|
connections to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad main line and the Florida East Coast Railway Palatka Branch
On April 16, 1915, the railroad was bought by H. S. Cummings of Rodman Lumber in Rodman, Florida, and reorganized as the Ocklawaha Valley Railroad. The lease of the SAL's Silver Springs Branch was transferred on August 19, 1915. A short spur was built from Rodman Junction to Rodman. and many logging lines were built to connect to the OVRR. Passenger service was also provided.
The mill closed in 1922, and Cummings had grown ill. The railroad was sold at a bankruptcy auction. Each major railroad wanted the line, but they were all afraid of a bidding war, so they agreed to allow an independent company to win the auction unopposed. Unfortunately for them, that independent company, Assets Realization of New York, had bought it for scrap value. Residents and companies along the line and connecting railroads protested, and brought the case all the way to the Supreme Court, which ordered that it would not be abandoned. However, Assets Realization disobeyed the court and tore it up anyway in December 1922, leaving the Florida Railroad Commission "no recourse but to declare the Ocklawaha Valley Railroad abandoned".