is an estate
located in Leesburg, Virginia
. Oatlands is operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation
and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
as a National Historic Landmark
. The Oatlands property is composed of the main mansion
and 260 acres (101.2 ha) of farmland
Oatlands Plantation was established by George Carter in 1798 on 3,408 acres (1,980 ha) of farmland. It started as a wheat
farm, but expanded to include other grains
, a gristmill
and a saw mill
, and a vineyard
. In 1803, Carter began construction of a Federal
mansion, which he expanded in the 1820s and 1830s. He also built a terraced garden and numerous outbuildings.
In 1897 the Carter family sold the mansion with 60 acres (24.3 ha) to Stilson Hutchins, founder of the Washington Post newspaper, who never lived on the property.
Hutchins sold Oatlands in 1903 to Mr. and Mrs. William Corcoran Eustis. Mrs. Eustis restored the gardens from neglect, adding boxwood-lined parterres to the terraces, statuary, a rose garden, a bowling green, and a reflecting pool. Today her plantings include mature specimens of Buxus sempervirens `Arborescens’ and `Suffruticosa’, Larix decidua, and Quercus robur.
After Mrs. Corcoran's death in 1964, her daughters donated the mansion, furnishings, and estate grounds to the National Trust.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971.
Oatlands is opened for visitation March 30 through December 30 of each year. An admission fee is charged.