O Magnum Mysterium
is a responsorial chant
from the Matins
. A number of composers have reworked the chant into a contemporaneous setting; the settings by Byrd
and La Rocca
are particularly notable. A setting by Peter Maxwell Davies
was created for Cirencester Grammar School
. The Lauridsen version has also been transcribed for band by H. Robert Reynolds, as has an arrangement for string orchestra, published by string educator Sandra Dackow. Latin text:
- O magnum mysterium,
- et admirabile sacramentum,
- ut animalia viderent Dominum natum,
- jacentem in praesepio!
- Beata Virgo, cujus viscera
- meruerunt portare
- Dominum Christum.
- Alleluia. English translation:
- O great mystery,
- and wonderful sacrament,
- that animals should see the new-born Lord,
- lying in a manger!
- Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
- was worthy to bear
- Christ the Lord.