(Our Country, Who's Become So Old
) is the national anthem
, an autonomous province of Denmark
. With lyrics by Henrik Lund
and music composed by Jonathan Petersen
, the anthem was officially adopted in 1916. Since 1979, "Nuna asiilasooq
" (The Land of Great Length
), an anthem used by the self-governing Kalaallit
people, has also been officially recognised by the government.
- Nunarput, utoqqarsuanngoravit niaqqut ulissimavoq qiinik.
- Qitornatit kissumiaannarpatit tunillugit sineriavit piinik.
- Akullequtaasut merlertutut ilinni perortugut tamaani
- kalaallinik imminik taajumavugut niaqquit ataqqinartup saani.
- Atortillugillu tamaasa pisit ingerlaniarusuleqaagut
- nutarterlugillu noqitsigisatit siumut, siumut piumaqaagut.
- Inersimalersut ingerlanerat tungaalitsiterusuleqaarput,
- oqaatsit "aviisit" qanoq kingunerat atussasoq erinigileqaarput.
- Taqilluni naami atunngiveqaaq, kalaallit siumut makigitsi.
- Inuttut inuuneq pigiuminaqaaq, saperasi isumaqaleritsi.
- Our country, which has become so old your head is all covered with white hair.
- Always held us, your children, in your bosom and gave us the riches of your coasts.
- As middle children in the family we blossomed here Kalaallit,
- we want to call ourselves before your proud and honourable head.
- With a burning desire to develop what you have to give, renewing,
- removing your obstacles of our desire to move forward, forward.
- The way of matured societies is our zealous goal to attain;
- the effect of speech and letters we long to behold.
- Humbleness is not the course, Kalaallit wake up and be proud!
- A dignified life is our goal; courageously take a stand.