Nové Mesto nad Váhom (Neustadt an der Waag or Neustadtl; Vágújhely) is a town in the Trenčín Region of Slovakia.
The town is located at the northern edge of the Danubian Hills
at the foothills of the northern end of the Little Carpathians
, on the Váh
river. Other mountains nearby are the White Carpathians
and the Považský Inovec
. It is situated 27 km from Trenčín
and 95 km from Bratislava
and has a population of 20,705 (2005) with an area of 32.583 km².
Lands in the place of today's Nové Mesto nad Váhom were inhabited in the prehistoric ages, as many artefacts from the Stone and Bronze ages were discovered. In the local part Mnešice
a prehistoric settlement was discovered.
The first written record about Nové Mesto nad Váhom was in 1253, when King Bela IV of Hungary granted freedoms for the loyalty during the Mongol invasions. It belonged to the Benedictine order, later to the Matthew Csák and others. It received its town privileges in 1550. Industry developed in the 19th century and was mainly focused at processing agricultural products.
According to the 2001 census
, the town had 21,327 inhabitants. 98.1% of inhabitants were Slovaks
, 1.1% Czechs
and 0.6% Roma
. The religious make-up was 56% Roman Catholics
, 23.3% people with no religious affiliation, and 13.8% Lutherans