The village is home to two pubs, a cricket club, and a golf course. At the centre of the village stands the church of St Eurgain and St Peter, towering 98 feet above the village. The Welsh College of Horticulture is also based in Northop, offering horticultural courses for students of all ages, in areas such as Animal Studies, floristry and agricultural machinery.
Another source claims the name originates from North and Thorpe, the latter word meaning village or town in the Saxon language. Written in ancient records as Northorpe, the name Northop was in use after the surrender of Chester to Egbert of Wessex, circa AD 828, when Flintshire was brought under Saxon rule.
There has been evidence of a church in Northop since the 6th century. It is said that Eurgain, a niece of St Asaph, passed through Northop and founded the church here on a Celtic mound, upon which it still stands. The Welsh name for Northop, Llaneurgain translates as "The holy enclosure of Eurgain". Records indicate that there was a stone church erected here during the 12th century, with the tower being completed to its 98-foot height in 1571. The present building was extensively rebuilt during 1840, with further alterations being carried out in 1877.
The churchyard of St Eurgain and St Peter still houses the old grammar school for Northop, constructed during the 16th century.
St Eurgain and St Peter's church is the seat of the Parish of Northop, which comprises the districts of Northop, Northop Hall, Sychdyn, Halkyn, Rhosesmor, and Flint Mountain. Formerly it also included Connah's Quay. It is a member of the diocese of St Asaph, Church in Wales.
The Red Lion and The Boot are the two pubs in Northop, situated at either end of the High Street. The Red Lion, which is now closed, pending a new tenant, has an adjoining restaurant serving food during the pub's normal opening hours. The Boot is at the other end of the High Street, and incorporates a dining area in traditional pub style. The Boot is the last remaining of the six original coaching inns present in Northop; from the 18th century, Northop was the first stop on the Chester-Holyhead stagecoach route. Unfortunately (and perhaps illogically) the Boot Inn (formerly 'Hotel') sign shows a leather Wellington boot, whereas it should be the type of boot or trunk that is fixed to the rear of stagecoaches to hold the passengers' goods.
There previously existed a working men's club (the Westminster Working Men's Club) in the village, situated on the High Street almost opposite Northop Post Office, where Westminster House now stands. The back of the club was demolished in 2001 and the club's estate and car park was developed into a new housing development, Pilgrim's Court.
Northop also plays host to a bridal shop (Karen Lesley Bridal Emporium) where wedding dresses are hand-made on the premises, 'The Old Police Station', Church Road which is now the home of Susan Price-Williams' Gallery & Photographic Studio - cameracat.co.uk, an antiques shop/furniture restorer (Nick Eastwood) and a hairdressers (Colettes). The longest established, repair & MOT Garage is "Brookfield Garage" (Keith Jones) which is next to the village Institute behind the Bridal Shop.
Northop had, in addition to the other retail businesses, a well used riding centre run by Netta Booker at Parkgate Farm over a period of ten years, and subsequently at Bryn Coch on the Connah's Quay road for a further six years before the Coal Board bought the land for open cast mining (this did not take place). The riding centre made its ultimate move to Bryn Ffynnon Farm, Rhosesmor, and operated for a further seventeen years until 1994.
As a result of its success and professional attitude, the band has been fortunate enough to play at some of the most prestigious venues in the country including, the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, St. David's Hall, Cardiff and the Royal Albert Hall in London. The 1980s saw the band become 'internationals' with a visit to Menden in Germany where, again, they performed with great professionalism. Recently band members joined forces with Parc and Dare (South Wales) in a return visit to Germany to play at a Police Festival in Hamburg.