The Northern Arrow
was one of the named passenger trains
of the Pennsylvania Railroad
serving St. Louis, Missouri
, Cincinnati, Ohio
, Chicago, Illinois
, and Mackinaw City, Michigan
. It used the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad
, a leased subsidiary of the Pennsylvania system. The train was frequented by northbound travelers to popular Northern Michigan
destinations north of Grand Rapids, Michigan
, such as Petoskey
, Mackinaw City
and Mackinac Island
. One section of the Northern Arrow
was a seasonal summer weekly service between Cincinnati, Fort Wayne, Indiana
, and Mackinaw City, while another section ran between St. Louis, Fort Wayne, and Mackinaw City.
On May 26, 1950 the Northern Arrow was re-equipped with a lightweight lounge and sleeping cars plus a dining car decorated with Northern Michigan photomurals.
Service was ended in 1961.