is a suburb on the Upper North Shore
, in the state of New South Wales
. Turramurra is located 20 kilometres
north-west of the Sydney central business district
, in the local government area
of Ku-ring-gai Council
and South Turramurra
are separate suburbs.
Turramurra is an Aboriginal
word meaning big hill
. Early settlers referred to the area as Eastern Road until the name Turramurra was adopted when the railway station was built in 1890. Eastern Road was an area of orchards. Samuel King, born in 1828 in County Donegal Ireland, arrived in Sydney in 1853. With his wife Ann, he established several orchards along Bobbin Head Road and at North Turramurra and was a noted church and community supporter.
Eccleston du Faur secured the name Turramurra. Du Faur was born in England in 1832 and was recognised in Sydney as a supporter of the arts and sciences. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society in 1875 and was an early bush conservationist. Most importantly, Du Faur secured the land for the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park from the government of the day. The Chase was declared in 1894. Du Faur personally funded and made a road through the bushland to Bobbin Head. In 1895 he built a house on 25 acres at the Chase Gates. After his death in 1915, part of this property became Lady Davidson Home, a convalescent hospital, later Lady Davidson Hospital.
North Turramurra is home to the sphinx war memorial. This 1.5 m high replica of the Great Sphinx of Egypt was carved out of sandstone in the 1920s by a returned soldier, in memory of fallen comrades. The suburb is a popular starting point for many bush walkers as it has easy access to Bobbin head
, the upper reaches of Cowan
Creek and St Ives Chase
North Turramurra lies on a narrow spur between two creeks (including Lovers Jump Creek) that flow eventually to the sea through the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
on the northern outskirts of the city. The heavily forested valleys pose a bush-fire threat each summer, but residents are blessed with common sightings of a wide variety of peculiar and beautiful native wildlife. This is a suburb where you can often see wallabies
hopping around backyards.
The nearest train station is Turramurra railway station
. Buses to North Turramurra are serviced by Shorelink
at Turramurra train station. Shorelink bus route 577 runs through North Turramurra. Burns Road creates a boundary with Turramurra
, to the south.
- Lady Davidson Private Hospital one of the largest dedicated rehabilitation hospital in Australia and has a long and distinguished history of providing health services for veterans and private patients.
- Nazareth House is an Aged car hospital run by the Sisters of Nazareth
The suburb is characterised by a close-knit community and has a strong community group known as NTAG (North Turramurra Action Group), which is one of the most active and successful community groups in the Ku-ring-gai area.