was a California Gold Rush
town on the San Juan Ridge
in Nevada County, California
. Originally known as Columbia
, Columbia Hill
, or The Hill
because of its proximity to Columbia Hill, it started as a gold miners' camp around 1851. When a Post Office
was established in 1860-05-29
, the word "North" was added in order to differentiate the settlement from Columbia, California
, another gold rush town in Tuolumne County, California
In 1878, when miners discovered that the Pliocene gravel bed upon which the town was built contained rich gold deposits, North Columbia was moved to its present location. But with the eventual curtailment of hydraulic mining, miners moved away. The Post Office closed in 1931.
Eventually, North Columbia became an unincorporated part of Nevada City, California.
The Columbia Hill Schoolhouse still stands, though it has been converted into a cultural center, hosting events such as the North Columbia Folk Festival and the Sierra Storytelling Festival.
Foote's Crossing Road, a National Historic Place, links North Columbia to Alleghany.