North Bellmore Fire Department (NBFD) is a volunteer fire department headquartered in North Bellmore, NY. Covering 3.6 square miles the department is responsible for parts of neighboring hamlets of Bellmore, North Merrick and East Meadow.The North Bellmore Fire Department has approximately 106 members using 29 pieces of apparatus located throughout 2 Stations.
The current Chief of Department is Alfred B. Boland III.
Established in 1908, 13 men organized the Smithville South Hook, Ladder, and Engine Company. At the turn of the century, the town of North Bellmore did not exist, the area was then known as Smithville. When the area of Smithville asked to be recognized by the establishment of a post office they were informed that there already was a Smithville located upstate. In order to create their own identity they changed the name to Smithville South. The name was later changed again when the LIRR created a station named Bellmore but the name stuck for the company located at the old Frederick Farms property at the intersection of Broad Street and Newbridge Road.
In 1923, a handful of homeowners in the north end of the fire district decided to organize, because they felt they needed more fire protection nearer to them. At this time, the men requested a charter from the State of New York. This was granted and the organization was now known as Engine Company No. 2, which was part of the North Bellmore Fire District. Property was now purchased on Newbridge Road which is still to this day the present location of the firehouse. Money was needed to build a garage. In 1956, the company’s charter was changed to North Bellmore Engine and Rescue Company No. 2 as the men in the company became trained in first aid procedures.
In 1969, a monument was constructed next to the firehouse in memory of all firemen past and present. The bell used on the monument is the original bell used in 1923 to alert residents and call to duty. The North Bellmore Fire Department "Rinky Dinks" Drill Team have won three New York State Championship titles (1956, 1960, 1968).
Since 2001 the Insurance Services Office (ISO) has rated the North Bellmore Fire Department under class 2 designation. The department has the highest rating on Long Island as well as among the top one percent in New York and throughout the United States.
The Board of Fire Commissioners consists of five unpaid elected officials, who serve a five year term. The board meets on a monthly basis to make procedures, policies and oversee the fire district.