Non nobis solum
(Not for ourselves alone) is a Latin motto
. A common variation is non nobis, sed omnibus
("not for us, but for everyone"). It means that people should contribute to the general greater good of humanity, apart from their own interests.
The motto is derived from a sentence in Cicero's most influential philosophical work, his treatise On Duties (Latin: De Officiis). In full, Cicero writes, non nobis solum nati sumus ("we are not born for ourselves alone"), Cicero de officiis, 1:22 The sentence, as Cicero himself says, is a literal translation of a sentiment from Plato's Letter to Archytas. Cicero associates this concept with the Stoic ideal of cosmopolitanism, according to which all men have a natural kinship with all other men and need to "contribute to the general good by an interchange of acts of kindness (officia), by giving and receiving" (De officiis 1.22, transl. Walter Miller, 1913).
- Adrian Lamo, as a frequent tagline.
- Beckenham Borough Council.
- Boston High School: A Grammar School for Girls, in Lincolnshire, UK.
- The town of Burnie, in Tasmania, Australia. It had appeared on the council seal of the town until 1992, when the seal was updated to a new, more colourful one without the motto present.
- Edmonton County School, London (founded 1919).
- Forest Hill Collegiate Institute, a public school in Toronto, Canada.
- Kilvington Girls' Grammar School, a private school in Melbourne, Australia (uses the variation non nobis, sed omnibus)
- Lower Canada College, a private school in Quebec.
- Lowther Hall Anglican Grammar School, a private school in Melbourne, Australia
- Marlborough Grammar School, Marlborough, Wiltshire, a grammar school in England
- Marsh Hill Comprehensive School in Birmingham UK
- Massanutten Military Academy in Virginia.
- Mosman Church of England Preparatory School, Mosman, New South Wales, Australia.
- The National Genealogical Society in Washington, D. C., as the motto on its seal.
- The National Junior Classical League, as the motto for its 2008 Convention, using the full "non nobis solum nati sumus."
- Soham Village College, Cambridgeshire, UK.
- Stan Hywet Hall, inscribed above the main doors.
- St Hilda's School, a private school in Queensland, Australia
- University College, Durham, hinting that the university was created as the first in Northern England, in order to improve conditions in the region as a whole.
- Willamette University, a private university in Salem, Oregon, founded 1842.
- YCA Kamp Kanawana, the oldest camp in Canada (founded 1894) in Saint Sauveur, Québec.
- Andrew Gilbert
- Ripley Court Preparatory School, Surrey, UK
- Port Lincoln High School, South Australia, Australia.
- Mareeba State High School, Far North Queensland, Australia.
- Renmark High School, South Australia, Australia.