The squadron moved to France and specialised in attacks behind the German lines in particular railway stations, railway lines, and railway trains. With the end of the first world war the squadron returned to England in March 1919. It disbanded on 3 July 1919.
The squadron was active on the second day of the Second World War dropping leaflets over Germany. Operations Record Books seen at the Public Record Office in Kew show that 2 Whitley Vs flew out of Topcliffe on 27 November 1940 to bomb "docks and shipping" at Havre. One of these planes "was not heard from after take off" but the other returned safely having dropped its 2x500lb and 6x250 lb bombs successfully.
In April 1942 the Whitleys were replaced by the Handley Page Halifax. The squadron continued for the next eighteen mon ths to fly night sorties (including the thousand bomber raids) over Germany.
In 1944 the squadron attacked rail targets in France in preparation for the invasion.
When the war finished the squadron was transferred to Transport Command and re-equipped with the Consolidated Liberator. Based as RAF Basingbourne its main role was the return of troops and POWs from India. With this work finished the squadron disbanded on 15 February 1946.
The squadron was reformed as No. 102 (SM) Squadron RAF (SM standing for "Strategic Missile") in August 1959, equipped with three Thor ballistic missiles, carrying a 1.4 megaton W-49 nuclear warhead, as part of the UK-US strategic deterrent. It was based at RAF Long Sutton in Yorkshire until it was disbanded, along with the other Thor squadrons, in 1963.
The squadron was adopted by the island of Ceylon in February 1942, which paid for aircraft for use by the squadron.