, also known by the pseudonym P. Revess
, is an American cartoonist
. He created the comic strips Up All Night
and Found in the Street
, and has written scripts for DC Comics
. His work often dwells in surrealism
"played as seriously as possible."
His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The New York Times, LA Weekly, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, The Independent on Sunday, Libération, Nickelodeon Magazine, The Believer, and Heavy Metal, as well as in comics anthologies such as Hotwire, Snake Eyes, Zero Zero, Hyena, Hodags and Hodaddies, Blood Orange, Rosetta, 106U, and Legal Action Comics. He has also worked on many books and projects for McSweeney's.
HarperCollins published his book, Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret, in 2000. Parts of his work were animated later that year for the Comedy Central show TV Funhouse, produced by Robert Smigel and Dino Stamatopoulos. In 2005, he started a comic book series called Tales Designed To Thrizzle, published by Fantagraphics. Currently he is writing sketches for a new comedy series starring Peter Serafinowicz, and a Snake 'n' Bacon animated series is in the works for the Adult Swim network.
Recurring Characters, Objects, and Comics
- Snake 'n' Bacon - A famous and beloved film duo composed of a snake and a strip of bacon. Snake only hisses and Bacon only makes comments about bacon, such as "Pat me with a paper towel to remove excess grease".
- Underpants-On-His-Head Man - A costumed crimefighter who wears underpants on his head
- Hercules - "the public domain superhero" who often smashes things.
- Wonder Book Junior, Boy Detective
- The Mannister - A man who can transform himself into the shape of a banister
- Cousin Granpa
- Mister Bossman
- Pagus - Jesus's half-brother
- Long John Silver
- Mark Twain
- Sex Blimps, and their logical inverse, Sex Holes
- Remembering the Thirties
- Citobor - an invisible, silent robot (robotic spelled backwards)
- 2000: Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret ISBN 0-380-80790-4
- 2003: Who Moved My Soap? : The CEO's Guide to Surviving in Prison (Illustrator)
- 2004: Stepmother (illustrator) ISBN 1-932416-09-9
- 2004: Giraffes? Giraffes! (cover)
- 2004: Your Disgusting Head: The Darkest, Most Offensive and Moist Secrets of Your Ears, Mouth and Nose (cover)
- 2004: The Future Dictionary of America (Art, art direction, writing) ISBN 1-932416-42-0
- 2004: McSweeneys 16 (art)
- 2005: Nick Mag Presents: Best of Comics (contributor)
- 2005: A Child Again (illustrator) ISBN 1-932416-22-6
- 2005: Tales Designed To Thrizzle #1
- 2006: McSweeneys 19 (Art & Design)
- 2006: Tales Designed To Thrizzle #2
- 2006: Tales Designed To Thrizzle #3
- 2006: Animals of the Ocean, in Particular the Giant Squid (Cover)