The tower was constructed in 1866 and is 111 ft (34 m) tall. It is possible to enter and climb to the top of the tower, up a spiral staircase of about 120 steps. The hill it is on allows a wide range of views, especially looking down to the River Severn A nearby topograph points to some other landmarks visible. The hill on which the monument stands is quite steep. There are two main paths, one which goes up steep steps, or one that follows a rough slope. The tower itself is surrounded by fencing and has floodlights that light up the tower at night.
The tower is open to the public and can be climbed on paying a nominal fee to the keyholder in the village. Locally, it is commonly called Nibley Monument rather than its official name.
There is a plaque on the front of the tower. The text engraved on it reads
It is a landmark that can be seen for miles, even in places as far as Bristol over 20 miles away. In the town of Thornbury there is a street called Tyndale View where the tower can be seen from approximately 10 miles away.