New Lanark is a village on the River Clyde, approximately 1.4 miles (or 2.2 kilometres) from Lanark, in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It was founded in 1786 by David Dale, who built cotton mills and housing for the mill workers. Dale built the mills there to take advantage of the water power provided by the river. Under the ownership of a partnership that included Dale's son-in-law, Robert Owen, a philanthropist and social reformer, New Lanark became a successful business and an epitome of utopian socialism.
The New Lanark mills operated until 1968. After a period of decline, the New Lanark Conservation Trust was founded in 1975 to prevent demolition of the village. As of 2006, most of the buildings have been restored and the village has become a major tourist attraction. It is one of five UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Scotland and an Anchor Point of ERIH - The European Route of Industrial Heritage.
Dale sold the mills, lands and village in the early 19th century (for £60,000, repayable over 20 years) to a partnership that included Dale's son-in-law Robert Owen. Owen was an industrialist who carried on his father-in-law's philanthropic approach to industrial working and who subsequently became an influential social reformer. New Lanark, with its social and welfare programmes, epitomised his Utopian socialism (see also: Owenism).
The New Lanark mills depended upon water power. A dam was constructed on the Clyde above New Lanark and water was drawn off the river to power the mill machinery. The water first travelled through a tunnel, and then through an open channel called the lade. It then went to a number of water wheels in each mill building. It was not until 1929 that the last waterwheel was replaced by a water turbine. Water power is still used in New Lanark. A new water turbine has been installed in Mill Three and is used to provide electricity for the tourist areas of the village.
In Owen's time some 2,500 people lived at New Lanark, many from the poorhouses of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Although not the grimmest of mills by far, Owen found the conditions unsatisfactory and resolved to improve the workers' lot. He paid particular attention to the needs of the 500 or so children living in the village (one of the tenement blocks is named Nursery Buildings) and working at the mills, and opened the first infant school in Britain in 1816.
The mills thrived commercially, but Owen's partners were unhappy at the extra expense incurred by his welfare programmes. Unwilling to allow the mills to revert back to the old ways of operating, Owen bought out his partners.
New Lanark became celebrated throughout Europe, with many leading royals, statesmen and reformers visiting the mills. They were astonished to find a clean, healthy industrial environment with a content, vibrant workforce and a prosperous, viable business venture all rolled into one. Owen’s philosophy was contrary to contemporary thinking, but he was able to demonstrate that it was not necessary for an industrial enterprise to treat its workers badly to be profitable. Owen was able to show visitors the village’s excellent housing and amenities, and the accounts showing the profitability of the mills.
As well as the mills' connections with reform, socialism and welfare, they are also representative of the Industrial Revolution that occurred in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries and which fundamentally altered the shape of the world.
In 1825, control of New Lanark passed to the Walker family. The Walkers managed the village until 1881, when it was sold to Birkmyre and Sommerville. They, and their successor companies, remained in control of the village until the mills closed in 1968.
After the mills closed people started to move away from the village, and the buildings began to deteriorate. In 1963 the New Lanark Association was formed as a housing association and commenced the restoration of Caithness Row and Nursery Buildings. In 1970 the mills, other industrial buildings and the houses used by Dale and Owen were sold to Metal Extractions Limited, a scrap metal company. In 1974 the New Lanark Conservation Trust [NLCT] was founded to prevent demolition of the village. A compulsory purchase order was used in 1983 to recover the mills and other buildings from Metal Extractions. They are now controlled by the NLCT. By 2005 most of the buildings have been restored and the village has become a major tourist attraction.
In the mid 19th century, an entire family would have been housed in a single room. Some sense of such living conditions can be obtained by visiting The David Livingstone Centre at Blantyre. David Dale, who founded New Lanark, was also involved in the mills at Blantyre. Only one tenement row has survived in Blantyre, and that building is now a museum. Mostly, this is devoted to David Livingstone, who was born there in 1813. However, the museum, too, includes a re-creation of the single~room living conditions of the time at New Lanark, featuring such as trundle beds for children~ as Livingstone would have used. The David Livingstone Centre is 18 miles by road from New Lanark, and lies between Glasgow and Hamilton.
The living conditions in the village gradually improved, and by the early 20th century families would have had the use of several rooms. It was not until 1933 that the houses sported interior cold water taps for sinks. In that year, the old communal outside toilets were replaced with inside facilities.
From 1898, the village proprietors provided free electricity to all the homes in New Lanark; But only enough power was available for one dim bulb to be lit in each room. The power was switched off at 10 pm each night, or one hour later on Saturday. In 1955, New Lanark was connected to the national grid.
About 200 people now live in New Lanark. Of the residential buildings, only Mantilla Row and Double Row have not been restored. Some of the restoration work was undertaken by the New Lanark Association and the New Lanark Conservation Trust. Braxfield Row and most of Long Row were restored by private individuals who bought the houses as derelict shells and restored them as private houses. In addition to the twenty owner occupied properties in the village, there are 45 rented properties which are let by the New Lanark Association [NLA], which is a registered housing association. The NLA also owns some other buildings in the village. It has been criticised for its failure to restore Double Row and rebuild Mantilla Row.
Considerable attention has been given to maintaining the historical authenticity of the village. No television aerials or satellite dishes are allowed in the village, and services such as telephone, television and electricity are delivered though buried cables. To provide a consistent appearance all external woodwork is painted white, and doors and windows follow a consistent design. Householders used to be banned from owning dogs, but this rule is no longer enforced.
Some features introduced by the New Lanark Conservation Trust, such as commercial signage and a glass bridge connecting the Engine House and Mill Three, have been criticised. The retention of a 1924 pattern red telephone box in the village square has also been seen as inappropriate. The mills, the hotel and most of the non-residential buildings in the village are owned and operated by the New Lanark Conservation Trust.
There is a large free car park on the outskirts of the village. Only disabled visitors may park in the village. There is a bus service from Lanark, about two kilometres away. Lanark has a railway station with half hourly services from Glasgow.
The village has a three star hotel (the New Lanark Mill Hotel, which is owned and operated by the New Lanark Conservation Trust), a number of holiday flats (the Waterhouses) which are let by the hotel and a youth hostel operated by Scottish Youth Hostels Association. There are restaurants and shops in the village, and a visitors centre.
Mills Better; Liz Gallacher Took Her Daughter Emma, Eight, and Her Pals Caitlin, Seven, and Bruce, Three, to New Lanark
Sep 30, 2000; What and where is New Lanark? Two hundred years ago, New Lanark was Britain's largest cotton manufacturing centre - now it's a...