No. 119 (NEI) Squadron was raised at Canberra on 1 September 1943. As a joint Australian-Dutch squadron the Dutch authorities provided all the Squadron's aircrew and aircraft while all of the groundcrew were Australian and the squadron was under the tactical control of the Royal Australian Air Force. No. 119 (NEI) Squadron was initially issued with two B-25 Mitchell medium bombers and a single Lodestar transport, though it is unclear if the squadron ever operated these aircraft.