The Necker Hospital was founded in 1778 by Madame Necker, born Suzanne Curchod, mother of Madame de Stael and wife of Jacques Necker, Minister of Louis XVI. It is devoted to medicine and surgery in adults.
The Hôpital des Enfants Malades (Hospital for sick children) created by the Conseil général des Hospices (General Hospices council) in January 1801 to manage the health and social structures of Paris. With the aim of reorganising the hospital, the Council is proposing a new classification based on the common distinction between hospitals and special hospitals and announced the creation of a hospital "for the children of both sexes under the age of fifteen years" (December 4, 1801). The Hôpital des Enfants Malades opened in June 1802 on the site of the orphanage hospital de l'Enfant Jesus. This is the first paediatric hospital in the world.
The two contiguous Hospitals merge in the years 1920, keeping their own characteristic (adults - children).