The first dwellings erected in the village were single storey buildings for the coal miners, named Brick Row. These buildings are still in place today. More collieries were opened in the surrounding area, such as the demand for coal increased. Nant-y-Cafn or Dillwyn colliery was opened in 1884, Henllan colliery 1911 and Brynteg colliery and brickworks in 1885. All housing in the village prior to the 1930’s was for coal miners, brick workers and railway employees.
However, during the 1950s geological problems and changing economic conditions took their toll on the colliery and in 1963 the pit closed. The men who had been employed at the Seven Sisters were transferred to the nearby Blaenant Colliery, which closed in 1990. After the closure of the Seven Sisters Colliery in 1963 the site was demolished and filled in. Today the site is home to playing fields but the history of what existed in the village still remains, with the pit head winding gear sunk in the ground next to the site of the old colliery.
Council Faces Losing Millions as Incinerator Battle Hots Up; Neath Port Talbot Wants Bridgend to Share Court Costs
May 01, 2008; Byline: Martin Shipton TWO councils are locked in a secret legal battle over a controversial waste processing and incinerator...
Pounds 54m Claim Turns Up the Heat over Authority's Troubled Incinerator; Neath Port Talbot Sues Project Advisers over Crymlyn Burrows
Jul 12, 2008; Byline: Martin Shipton ALOCAL authority has launched a pounds 54m lawsuit over a troubled waste plant that was once hailed as a...