Natchez National Cemetery
is a United States National Cemetery
located in the city of Natchez
overlooking the Mississippi River
in Adams County, Mississippi
. It encompasses 25.7 acres, and as of the end of 2005, had 7,154 interments.
The original site of the cemetery was purchased from local residents in 1866, to inter Union
soldiers who died in the Civil War. Remains from battlefield and post cemeteries from around the region were brought to the cemetery to be reinterred. In 1866 a large number of soldiers who were buried in the levees of the west bank of the Mississippi River were exhumed and transferred to the National Cemetery.
Natchez National Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.