, from “nanometer video-enhanced microscopy”, is a microscopic technique aimed at visualizing colloidal gold
particles of 20-40 nm diameter (nanogold, immunogold) as dynamic markers at the light microscopic level. The nanogold particles as such are smaller than the diffraction
limit of light
, but can be visualized by using Video-Enhanced Differential Interference Contrast (VEDIC). The technique is based on the use of contrast
enhancement by video techniques and digital image processing
. Nanovid microscopy, by combining small colloidal gold probes with video-enhanced quantitative microscopy, allows for studying the intracellular dynamics of specific proteins
in living cells
- De Mey, J., Moeremans, M., Geuens, G., Nuydens, R., De Brabander, M., High resolution light and electron microscopic localization of tubulin with the IGS (immuno-gold staining) method, Cell Biol. Int. Rep. 5, 889-899 (1981).
- De Brabander M, Nuydens R, Geuens G, Moeremans M, De Mey J., The use of submicroscopic gold particles combined with video contrast enhancement as a simple molecular probe for the living cell, Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1986;6(2):105-13.
- de Brabander, M. Nuydens, R. Ishihara, A. Holifield, B. Jacobson, K. and Geerts, H., Lateral diffusion and retrograde movements of individual cell surface components on single motile cells observed with Nanovid microscopy, J. Cell Biol., 112, 111-124 (1991).
- Degelos SD, Wilson MP, Chandler JE., Nanovid microscopy for assessing sperm membrane changes induced by in vitro capacitating and acrosomal reacting procedures, J Androl. 1994 Sep-Oct;15(5):462-7.
- Geerts H, De Brabander M, Nuydens R, Geuens S, Moeremans M, De Mey J, Hollenbeck P., Nanovid tracking: a new automatic method for the study of mobility in living cells based on colloidal gold and video microscopy, Biophys J. 1987 Nov;52(5):775-82.
- Geerts H, de Brabander M, Nuydens R., Nanovid microscopy, Nature. 1991 Jun 27;351(6329):765-6.
- Kusumi A, Sako Y, Yamamoto M., Confined lateral diffusion of membrane receptors as studied by single particle tracking (nanovid microscopy). Effects of calcium-induced differentiation in cultured epithelial cells, Biophys J. 1993 Nov;65(5):2021-40.