The University of Nanking
(金陵大学) was a Christian university
founded in 1888 in Nanjing
. It was originally named the Nanking University
, the first school officially named University (in English
) in China.
The Nanking University
(汇文书院, Huiwen Shuyuan) was founded in 1888 by C.H. Fouler. Initially there were three faculties: liberal arts, divinity and medicine. In 1910, The Nanking University merged The Union Christian College
(宏育书院, Hongyu Shuyuan, formed in 1900 by the merger of The Christian College
(基督书院, Jidu Shuyuan, founded in 1891) and The Presbyterian College
(益智书院, Yizhi Shuyuan, founded in 1894)) and changed the name to Private University of Nanking
(金陵大学), and was registered with the New York State
In 1951, Ginling College (former Ginling Women University established in 1913) merged into University of Nanking. In 1952, University of Nanking was merged with Nanjing University (南京大学).
- J. C. Ferguson(福开森)
- G.A. Stuart(师图尔)
- A. J. Bowen(包文)
- Chen Yuguang(陈裕光)
- Li Fangxun(李方训)
- Ching Chun Li, geneticist, Chairman of American Society of Human Genetics.
- Choh Hao Li, biologist, biochemist. His achievements include isolating and synthesizing the human pituitary growth hormone. He received many honors including Lasker Award.
- Choh-Ming Li, educationist, economist.
- Francois Cheng, writer, poet. A "Bridge Between Eastern and Western Culture".
- T. C. Tso, agriculturalist, tobacco scientist.
- Te-Tzu Chang, agriculturalist. Member of Pontifical Academy of Sciences (Vatican City). He receives Tyler Prize in 1999.
- Thome H. Fang, philosopher.
- W. B. Pettus, educator.
- Wu Teh Yao, educationist, politics scholar.
- Zhang Zhiwen, agriculturist, Vice Director General of FAO of United Nations.
- Charles W. Woodworth(faculty member), Professor Emeritus and founder of the Entomology Division U.C. Berkeley (1891-1930) was a lecturer in Entomology during his sabbatical in 1918. He was there then again between 1921-4. See the C. W. Woodworth Award.
- Pearl S. Buck(faculty member), writer.
- Zou Bingwen(faculty member), agriculturist, the Vice Chairman of Organising Committee of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.