Name days in Bulgaria
are associated almost always with Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox
celebrations. Some names can be celebrated on more than one day and some have even started following foreign traditions (like Valentina celebrating on the Catholic St Valentine's day).
According to the tradition, guests are supposed to come uninvited and the person who has the celebrated name is supposed to be prepared to treat everyone. Today people prefer to invite their guests at home or at a bar or a restaurant. The celebrations are similar to those of birthdays, but usually the food, the music and the feel is somewhat more traditional, and rarely even religious.
Some days of widely used names
Only more common forms of male names listed:
- 1 : Marta, Martina (on Baba Marta)
- 17 : Alexi
- 28 : Boyan
- 2 : Boris (on Saint tzar Boris)
- 4 : Toma
- 5 : Irina
- 6 : Georgi, Gergana (on Gergyovden)
- 11 : Kiril, Metodi (13 days before St. Cyril and St. Methodius' day)
- 21 : Elena, Konstantin, Kostadin
- 16 : Yulia, Yulian
- 20 : Iliya (on Ilinden)
Easter related days
- First Saturday of the Great Lent: Todor, Teodora, Dora, Bozhidar
- Lazarus_Saturday: Lazar, Lazarina
- Palm Sunday (Eastern Churches): all flower-related names, such as Tzviatko, Margarita, Lilia, Violeta, Yavor, Zdravko, Zjumbjul, Nevena, Temenuzhka, etc.
- Easter Sunday (Eastern Churches): Velichka, Veliko, Velin
- Thomas Sunday: Toma, Tomislav, Tomislava
- Ascension Sunday: Spas, Spaska