is a Shinto
shrine located in the Nagara area of Gifu
, Gifu Prefecture
. It is a Tenman-gū
dedicated to the worship of Sugawara no Michizane
(斎藤 利藤) first built Nagara Tenjin Shrine during the Kanshō
era (1460–1466) with the purpose of making it the family temple for the Saitō clan
. Saitō Toshiyasu
(斎藤 利安) completed repair work during the Eishō
era (1504–1520), but Ikeda Terumasa
was responsible for major upgrades in 1588
During the Edo period, the Nagara area was under control of the Owari Domain and the shrine was used by the heads of both the Owari and Takasu domains.
During the Keichō era (1596–1614), after the shrine's pavilions were rebuilt, the shrine suffered damage and new construction was started. The current honden was completed in 1801 and the haiden was completed in 1852.
In 1959, the shrine was struck by the Isewan Typhoon and many large trees were knocked over, damaging the shrine. Repairs were not completed until 1986.