, a beta-ketoacyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] synthase III
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- acetyl-CoA + malonyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] acetoacetyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] + CoA + CO2
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are acetyl-CoA and malonyl-[acyl-carrier-protein], whereas its 3 products are acetoacetyl-[acyl-carrier-protein], CoA, and CO2.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those acyltransferases transferring groups other than aminoacyl groups. The systematic name of this enzyme class is acetyl-CoA:malonyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] C-acyltransferase. Other names in common use include 3-oxoacyl:ACP synthase III, 3-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III, KASIII, KAS III, FabH, beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III, beta-ketoacyl-ACP synthase III, beta-ketoacyl (acyl carrier protein) synthase III, and beta-ketoacyl-acyl-carrier-protein synthase III. This enzyme participates in fatty acid biosynthesis.
- Tsay JT, Oh W, Larson TJ, Jackowski S, Rock CO "Isolation and characterization of the beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III gene (fabH) from Escherichia coli K-12". J. Biol. Chem. 267 6807–14.
- Han L, Lobo S, Reynolds KA "Characterization of beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III from Streptomyces glaucescens and its role in initiation of fatty acid biosynthesis". J. Bacteriol. 180 4481–6.
- Lonsdale JT "Identification, substrate specificity, and inhibition of the Streptococcus pneumoniae beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III (FabH)". J. Biol. Chem. 276 30024–30.
- Choi KH, Kremer L, Besra GS, Rock CO "Identification and substrate specificity of beta -ketoacyl (acyl carrier protein) synthase III (mtFabH) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis". J. Biol. Chem. 275 28201–7.
- Khandekar SS "Crystal structure and substrate specificity of the beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III (FabH) from Staphylococcus aureus". Protein. Sci. 14 2087–94.
- Li Y, Florova G, Reynolds KA "Alteration of the fatty acid profile of Streptomyces coelicolor by replacement of the initiation enzyme 3-ketoacyl acyl carrier protein synthase III (FabH)". J. Bacteriol. 187 3795–9.
- Neidhardt, F.C. (Ed.), Escherichia coli and Salmonella: Cellular and Molecular Biology, 2nd ed., vol. 1, ASM Press, Washington, DC, 1996, p. 612-636.