It is placed on the boundary of New Town and Old town, in southwest direction from the centre of the city. This avenue connects Most legií bridge with Jungmannovo náměstí. In medieval times there were fortifical walls.
In 1900's the name of the avenue was Nové Aleje (New Avenue, german Neue Allee), but name was changed through the years: V alejích, V nových alejích, V stromořadí, Uršulinská, U Řetězového or Ferdinandova. In 19. century there rised important buildings and institutions, as National Theatre, Czech Academy of Sciences, or coffee-house Slavia in the Lažanských palace.