is a Christian bible college
located in Portland, Oregon
. With approximately 860 students the institution specializes in biblical studies
. Multnomah Bible College offers Bachelor's Degrees
with a Bible and theology major as well as a number of major and minor programs. In the fall of 2007
the college began a Master's Degree
in teaching program. Multnomah Biblical Seminary offers Master's Degrees
, Biblical Studies, Theological Studies, and Pastoral Studies.
On February 14
, Rev. John G. Mitchell called a meeting to discuss a vision, and subsequently Multnomah School of the Bible came into existence. The following October, classes began in a former mortuary
. There were 49 students and a half-dozen faculty. Multnomah Biblical Seminary was founded as a related institution in 1986
. In 1994
, the college was renamed to Multnomah Bible College. In the fall
, the over-arching name of the entire institution will be changed to Multnomah University. However, under the University title the institution will still consist of Multnomah Bible College and Multnomah Bibical Seminary.
The original campus was located adjacent to the site of the present Lloyd Center shopping mall in northeast Portland. In 1952 the school purchased the former 17 acre (69,000 m²) campus of Oregon State School for the Blind, located at NE 82nd Avenue and NE Glisan Street, the present location for the college and seminary.
The college is accredited by The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, The Association for Biblical Higher Education and the seminary is accredited by Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. Both the college and the seminary are licensed by the State of Oregon to grant bachelor's and master's degrees.
On July 1st, 2008 the name of Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary became Multnomah University.
The school's mascot is the Lions. The school is a member of both the NCCAA
and the ACCA