Mulgrave is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The local government area is the City of Monash. The suburb takes its name from Mulgrave Castle in the County of York. Sir George Phipps, the Earl of Mulgrave in the Peerage of Great Britain would serve as the Governor of Victoria between 1879 and 1884.
Most notably, the suburb gave its name to the Mulgrave Freeway, which was later renamed to the Monash Freeway
Mulgrave Parish, as it was then known, was first settled in 1839 by Thomas Napier
, a Scottish Builder who first reached the Colony of Victoria
in the mid-1830s. Napier settled on the banks of the Dandenong Creek
and built his homestead in Bushy Park Wetlands
,and what is now Jells Park
. None of the original homesteads remain, though some were demolished as late as the latter part of the 20th century. Remains of some homesteads have been uncovered during the construction of the EastLink Tollway
, temporarily halting work while they were archaeologically examined.
From Parish to Shire
Mulgrave remained a Parish until 19 January 1857 when it, and the neighbouring Parish of Oakleigh were gazetted as the Road District of Mulgrave and Oakleigh
respectively. On 1 December 1871 further changes saw the two Road Districts merged to become the Shire of Oakleigh. For twenty years Mulgrave effectively ceased to exist until 1891 when, on 13 March
, the Shire of Oakleigh
was divided to form the Borough of Oakleigh and the Shire of Mulgrave.
Reduction of Size
Throughout its history Mulgrave has been plagued by the shifting of its borders and the reduction of its total size. Its borders would remain relatively unchanged until 1949 when land was transferred from the Shire to Oakleigh. This occurred again a decade later with the Shire of Mulgrave now reduced to 23 square miles. As a part of the changes offices for the Shire were opened in present-day Notting Hill
Despite such reductions, it was in April 1961 that the Shire saw the biggest reduction in land, when it was gazetted as the City of Waverley. Having been a Parish and a Shire, Mulgrave was now reduced to a suburb.
Mulgrave is one of the few Victorian suburbs split into two distinct areas, with each sharing the common name but not prefixing it with ‘East' or ‘West’. This came about as a result of the renaming of parts of Mulgrave to Wheelers Hill, Victoria
in the late 1990s. So separated by distance are the two parts that a group local residents from the South Eastern area campaigned, albeit unsuccessfully, in 2004 to have the area renamed to Waverley Park, Victoria
Greatly reduced in size and presence, Mulgrave is now best known for "Jacksons Road", which runs through the eastern part of the suburb. Jacksons Rd is familiar to many Melburnians due to the Jacksons Rd Interchange with the Monash Freeway . The Jacksons Rd Interchange is a VicRoads timing point for traffic travelling to/from the City. Jacksons Rd is a common point of reference for radio news traffic reports when broadcasting travel times into/from the city travelling on the Monash Freeway . Other major points of interest in Mulgrave are the Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre, and the former Waverley Park AFL football ground, now a redeveloped housing estate.
Metropolitan buses run through this area, two popular SmartBuse(s) and the original hourly routes. Most of these bus routes are run by Grenda's Bus Services.
- Refer to routes 802, 804, 862, 885, 888/889 and 900 on the List of Melbourne Bus Routes