is a suburb of the city of Hobart
. As its name suggests, it is located upon a mountain
. In the strictest sense of the word Mount Nelson is not really a mountain as its highest peak is approximately 350m above sea level. Mount Nelson is located directly above the Hobart suburb of Sandy Bay
and to the south of Hobart's CBD
. It is one of the oldest and most prestigious suburbs in Hobart.
The main road in Mount Nelson is Nelson Road, which extends up the mountain from the Wrest Point Hotel Casino in the suburb of Sandy Bay. It is famously known for its "bends", which consist of seven very sharp corners created as the road winds its way up the mountain. All seven of the bends have been given a name. Nelson Road is one of the oldest thoroughfares in Hobart, being laid as the path to the signal station not long after the settlement of Hobart.
Features and Services
One college is located on the mountain - Hobart College
, one of Hobart's four public secondary
colleges. Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark
- wife of Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark
- is a graduate of Hobart College. Mount Nelson is also home to Mount Nelson Primary School.
Services in Mount Nelson include:
- The Mount Nelson general store, which caters for nearly all basic living needs.
- The Mount Nelson Pharmacy, which serves the growing number of elderly and retired residents. Services include free delivery and pick up, prescriptions and advice, as well as a baby club.
- The Mount Nelson Tavern serves meals and also doubles as a place for the local residents to meet and enjoy a beer over a game of pool.
- The Mount Nelson Oval is a recreational sports ground which is used regularly over the weekends to host different sports including soccer and cricket. Located here is children's play equipment. The ground is maintained by the Hobart City Council.
- During the weekday a local bus service runs up and down the mountain every 30 minutes.
- The Mount Nelson Medical Centre, which is serviced by general practitioners.
Mount Nelson is one of the breeding grounds for the endangered Swift Parrot
. It is thought that there is only around 1000 breeding pairs in existence.
There are a number of recreational areas and activities in Mt Nelson that are popular with both locals and tourists. Several bushland tracks (e.g. the Historical Truganini
walking track) weave through the surrounding area. The Skyline Reserve also includes a collection of walking tracks.
The Mount Nelson Signal Station is only a 15 minute drive from the Hobart city centre and offers visitors beautiful views over the city and surrounding areas. The lookouts and adjacent café are fully accessible, as are the toilets next to the carpark. There is a picnic area nearby with unsheltered picnic tables and barbecues
, although wheelchair users may require assistance with the path leading to the area. The Truganini memorial walk, leaving from the picnic area, is a relatively flat and easy walk, although its uneven surface and narrow width make it unsuitable for wheelchair users. The Signal Station located here was built in 1811 to announce the appearance of boats in Storm Bay. Walking tracks link with the Channel Highway, from where the Taroona bus service can be used to return to the City.
Mount Nelson was originally named 'Nelson's Hill' by Captain William Bligh (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) in 1792 in honor of David Nelson, the Botanist of the Bounty mission, as "he was the first white man on it" when the Bounty visited 'Van Diemens Land' on its way to Tahiti. Nelson was one of the Bounty crew who was loyal to Bligh during the mutiny. He died in Timor on 20 Jul 1789 of an 'inflammatory fever' caused by the long open-boat voyage following the mutiny. His funeral was attended by the Governor and officers from every ship in the harbour. The name 'Nelson's Hill' was later changed to Mount Nelson.
Most of the modern suburban development in Mount Nelson has taken place after 1945 when the government encouraged settlement of immigrants escaping the destruction that took place in Europe after World War II. During this same period the section of hillface north of the bends on Nelson Road, which used to be a firing range, was converted into university farm land for the University of Tasmania.