The brick-built single-storey station has a ticket office and waiting room (now closed) on the north (Reading-bound) side of the double track. There is a footbridge over to the south side with its very small brick shelter. The buildings were designed in the Italianate style by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1848 for the Great Western Railway and are listed Grade II*. The approval of the Duke of Wellington, who lived nearby at Stratfield Saye House, was required for the station's construction. In much later years it was operated by the Southern Region of British Railways.