The ward of Moor Park (red) shown within Preston (orange)
|UK Parliament constituency:||Preston|
Moor Park is a large park (approx 2 miles perimeter) to the north of Preston, Lancashire. Moor Park is also the name of the electoral ward covering the park and the surrounding area. The ward borders the traditional boundary of Fulwood.
Created in 1833-35, the park is reputed to be the first in which the inalienable right of public access was assured. Moor Park is Preston's largest and oldest park and was originally common land derived from the Royal Forest of Fulwood by the Charter of Henry III of England in 1235. It was the first public park in the country.
Moor Park is currently a two-member electoral ward, whilst in addition to the neighbouring College, and Deepdale wards, forms the Preston Central North division of Lancashire County Council. The English Martyr’s Catholic Church is within the ward.
At the 2001 census, Moor Park has a population of 4,919, whilst at the most recent election the electorate was 3,053. Of this figure, 68% described themselves as Christian, with a Muslim population of 5.2%. Whilst the area around Fulwood is largely commuter belt and recent retired properties, the Plungington and Deepdale areas are traditional terraces with multi-occupancy homes increasingly common.
The park itself lies on the corner of Blackpool Road and the A6 (Garstang Road) near the famous Preston North End F.C. stadium and National Football Museum. Moor Park is also home to the the Jeremiah Horrocks Observatory, built by Thomas Cooke in 1867. Three schools and a campus of Preston College sit on the edges of the park.
On the weekend of the 19 and 20 May 2007 the 2007 Radio 1's Big Weekend took place at Moor Park. With 3 stages and an estimated 35,000 people attending, it was the biggest free music festival in Europe.