Moonlight Whispers (Sasayaki) is a 1999 Japanese film.
Directed by Akihiko Shiota. The film is based on the Manga Gekko no sasayaki.
Boy (Takuya) meets girl (Satsuki), they fall in love. When she discovers his fetishes Satsuki brands Takuya hentai (pervert) and leaves him, only to be drawn back by the power his fetishes give her over him.
- "Moonlight Whisper buzzes with a quietly disturbing resonance that will stick with you for days." Time Out, New York
- "...unspools like a long kinky episode of 'Dawson's Creek'...succeeds in uncovering moments of delicate nuance." A. O. Scott, The New York Times
- "Perfectly deranged...Attains a hospitalized lyricism not seen since Cronenberg's Crash" Chuck Stephens, San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- "An audacious blend of perversion and poignancy" Peter Stack, San Francisco Chronicle.
- "discreetly erotic...[director, Akihiko Shiota is] an original new talent." Derek Elley, Variety
- "a singular film. . . passionately romantic."Noah Cowan, Toronto International Film Festival
- 1999: Director's Guild of Japan (New Director's Award)
- 1999: Hochi Film Award (Best New Director for Akihiko Shiota)
- 1999: Locarno International Film Festival, Golden Leopard (Nomination for Akihiko Shiota)
- 2000: Japanese Professional Movie Award
- Tsugumi (Best New Actress)
- Akihiko Shiota (Best New Director)
- 2000: Mainichi Film Concours, Sponichi Grand Prize (New Talent Award for Akihiko Shiota)
- Yokohama Film Festival, Festival Prize
- Best New Director Akihiko Shiota
- Best New Talent Tsugumi