Monkayo is politically subdivided into 21 barangays.
Monkayo, as a municipality was created by virtue of an Executive Order signed by the late President Ramon Magsaysay on Sept. 14, 1954.
The town's pre-World War II settlers were lumads, or indigenous peoples consisting of the so-called "Four Tribes"--the Mandayas, Dibabawons, Mansakas and Manobos. These tribes dominated practically all of what is now Monkayo.
During World War II, the town which was then part of the Compostela-Nabunturan local government, that also encompassed the area of what is now Montevista town, sustained minimal damage from Japanese attacks.
Monkayo's development was spurred immediately after Liberation and into the fifties as abaca trade along the Agusan River which traverses the town, flourished. Christian settlers from the Visayas and Luzon also came, as well as Chinese traders who established a trading post in the mouth of Agusan along the delta of what is now Barangay San Jose. Boats plied from Monkayo, bringing goods to other trading centers along the Agusan further north and up to its mouth in Butuan City.
The construction of the Davao-Agusan junction of the Daang Maharlika (Pan-Philippines Highway) further fast-tracked the town's development. More businesses came in, and the "pumpboat economy" brought about by the trade along the Agusan River was considerably enhanced as overland travel from Davao City to Butuan City was introduced. The road network also drastically shortened the travel time from Davao to Butuan and eventually to other key cities in Mindanao.
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia © 2001-2006 Wikipedia contributors (Disclaimer)
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
Last updated on Friday September 19, 2008 at 05:00:51 PDT (GMT -0700)
View this article at Wikipedia.org - Edit this article at Wikipedia.org - Donate to the Wikimedia Foundation