is an unincorporated village in Springfield Township
, LaGrange County
. The name Mongo derives from the early settlers' name for the area: Mongoquinong
. Although An Illustrated Historical Atlas of LaGrange County, Indiana
(1874) translates this as "Big Squaw Village", is presently thought to be a corruption of the Miami-Illimois maankwahkionka
, meaning "In the Loon Land".
Mongo is located at . Mongo is the site of "The Olde Store" (aka "John O'Ferrell Store" or the "Mongo Trading Post"), on the National Register of Historic Places
- McCafferty, Michael (2008) Native American Place Names of Indiana, University of Illinois Press, ISBN 978-0252032684.