) is a common personal name among Chinese people
, Vietnamese people
, and Korean people
. In pinyin, it is written Míng
, in romanized Vietnamese
, it is written as Minh
, and in Korean it is pronounced Myeong
. Directly translated as "bright" (to understand/intelligence), the Chinese character
is made up of the words sun
) and moon
) written side by side. It may also mean:
- Ming Tsai, a celebrity chef
- Ming-Na (born 1963), an American actress
- Yan Pei Ming (born 1960), a Chinese born painter
- Yao Ming, professional NBA player from China
- Ho Chi Minh, Vietnamese leader
- Ngoc Minh, a Vietnamese poet
- Ming, a fictional character in the Japanese role-playing game Lost Odyssey
- The Scottish name Menzies is traditionally pronounced "MING-iss" and a shortened form is "Ming"
- Robert Menzies (nicknamed "Ming"), an Australian Prime Minister (using the pronunciation "Men-zeez" for his surname)
- British politician Menzies Campbell (using the pronunciation "MING-iss") is often called "Ming"
Ming also means meow in Tagalog.